San Ysidro Depot
Click on photos below to display a larger image.
Approximate size of image to be displayed is shown in [brackets].
After viewing a larger image, use your web browser's BACK function to return to this page.
The last depot before the SD&AE crosses the border into Mexico on the trip Eastward.
The San Ysidro station never handled much passenger traffic although technically it was available until
service was discontinued in 1951. It's location right on the border (and across the fence from the Tijuana
depot) reveal it's role for freight handling and customs inspections.
The Prototype -
The San Ysidro station has all the charm of any corrugated metal warehouse. This and the Tijuana station are
today in daily use by the San Diego & Imperial Valley Railroad which hauls freight from San Diego a short
distance into Mexico.
Building the model -
The San Ysidro station has been very accurately modeled by the San Diego Model Railroad Club. Border fencing has
been installed, complete with chain link gates across (but open for operations) the main line. The only detail
missing are the radio antennas, shown in the recent prototype photograph. The San Ysidro depot structure was
crafted by Paul Voss.
Source: The Railroad Stations of San Diego County: Then and Now by James N. Price.
Historical Photo: San Diego Historical Society
Model Photos: Rob Hanson and Brian Satterlee